Age Concern Hastings is based in two locations.
In Hastings Age Concern is based in the middle of town opposite New World supermarket. The team includes Ruth, Tania, Helen and Di and the office is open 9.30 – 3.30 pm Monday to Friday.
In Waipukurau Age Concern is just off Ruataniwha St/Porangahau Rd intersection in the blue building on the left going up towards the primary school. The team is made up of Maureen and Sue and a group of volunteers and the office is open Tuesday to Friday 9am – 3pm.
- Support Services, Information, Advice and Personal Advocacy: Responding in person/phone to a range of queries from older people and their carers eg. Advising where to obtain a service, what is available.
Providing confidential support and empowerment to older people.
- Information Resources: Providing update to date pamphlets and resources on a wide variety of information
- Visiting Services: Providing visitors who make regular visits to socially isolated older people in their homes via Age Concern Accredited Visiting Service.
- Education: Holding education seminars for the public eg. positive ageing, Enduring Power of Attorney, , health promotion sessions, mature driving refresher course, safe seniors etc
- Social Activities: Holding events that provide social connection between older people eg. drop in centres, housie, indoor bowls, rummikub, crib, lunches, trips to other Age Concerns locally and places of interest ie. Strictly Tea in Hastings and Waipukurau members come through to Operatunity shows in Hastings
- Elder Abuse and Neglect Prevention Service: Providing confidential support, advocacy and information for people facing elder abuse and neglect.
- Transport: Providing a transport service to members to come to activities in Hastings and Waipukurau.
- Total Mobility Scheme: Providing assessment and provision of Total Mobility taxi vouchers.
- In-home Support: Referring on to trusted services (eg. handyman, gardener, plumber, glazier, mechanic) that can provide member’s a contact and link for these necessary tasks or work to be undertaken.
- Food Services: Selling Ezee Meal frozen meals which we source from Mission Foods.
- Foot Care Clinics monthly for Members: Held in both Hastings and CHB service in Waipukurau monthly. Lower cost than visiting a podiatrist.
- Sale or loan of equipment: Wheelchairs, walkers, commodes available to hire short-term
- Representation: Providing representation and advice on older peoples’ issues to local government groups eg. Hastings District Council – Positive Ageing Forum, CHB District Council.
- Lifetubes – A small plastic cylinder that contains a sheet with your vital health information and contact people. It is kept in the refridgerator and a red sticker is placed on the fridge door which in the event of an emergency alerts police, ambulance, fire service or even a friend or neighbour that crucial medical information is located inside.
National Life Tube Co-ordinator
Age Concern Hastings
Ph: 06 870 9060 (Monday,Wednesday,Friday)