The Government’s Warmer Kiwi Homes has been offering grants for insulation since July 2018. Thanks to generous contributions from organisations in our community, the cost to homeowners has been free or low cost in many areas.
From 1 July 2019, Warmer Kiwi Homes also offers lower-income homeowners grants for heaters. Grants will cover two thirds of the cost of an efficient heat pump, wood burner or pellet burner and the grant will be capped at a maximum of $2,500.
Homeowners may be eligible for a grant for a heater if:
- they are the homeowner (not a rental)
- the home was built before the year 2008
- the homeowner has a Community Services Card or SuperGold combo card, OR
- the home is in an area identified as low-income
- the home doesn’t have an existing operational heating appliance in the main living area
To be elgible for a grant for a heater the home must have existing ceiling and underfloor insulation that is up to EECA standards. Home owners may also be eligible if a service provider contracted to EECA has assessed the home and found they can’t install insulation.