The Princess Margaret Hospital Turns 60

On the 31st of August 1959 the doors to The Princess Margaret Hospital were officially opened by the then Governor General Viscount Cobham.
Building of the hospital commenced in 1952. The main contractors were Chas S Luney Ltd of Christchurch and the architect was Mr Allan Manson of Manson, Seward and Stanton of Christchurch
The foundation stone was laid by Sir Willoughby Norrie (Governor General) on the 16th October 1953.   During the ceremony he stated “Bricks and mortar alone do not make a hospital – it is made by the hand of the doctors, nurses and other workers who devote their skill and energy to the care of the sick”
Permission to name the hospital “The Princess Margaret Hospital” was given by Her Majesty the Queen and Her Royal Highness the Princess Margaret in July 1959.
The opening ceremony took place in the afternoon sun outside the front doors, with the front pathway into the hospital lined by nurses in full uniform.
To celebrate the 60th years there is going to be a luncheon for any past staff to be held on the 31st August 2019. If you are interested in finding out more or attending email