Christchurch counter services 100 Tuam Street City Environment Canterbury is the regional council working with the people of Canterbury to manage the region’s air, water and land. They are committed to the sustainable management of our environment while promoting the region’s economic, social and cultural well-being.
The services provided are listed below:
CLEAN HEAT PROJECT information line 353 9276 or freephone 0800 329 276. Internet address www.cleanheat.org.nz; email firstname.lastname@example.org
* Pollution Hotline – Within Christchurch 366 4663 or 0800 765 588. From Winter 2010 only approved burners less than 15 years old can be used between 1 April and 30 September. A list of approved woodburners is available from the Environment Canterbury website. There is also useful information on alternatives to burning wood. Assistance may be available to help with conversion from old inefficient woodburners to clean burning woodburners. www.cleanheat.co.nz For further information regarding fire bans, ring the telephone number provided.
* Visit WarmerCheaper.co.nz for a handy hints, video and tips for lighting an efficient clean fire. In-home training can also be arranged by ringing Environment Canterbury on 0800 329 276.
Metroinfo – Bus & Timetable Information 366 8855 – Internet address:
* Civil Defence – 366 2359 24 hour number
* River and Flood Line – 0900 74837 – charges will apply.
* Customer Services Information-Call Free 0800 EC INFO (324 6366) or
*For Rural Services contact Local Depot-See listings in telephone directory under Canterbury Regional Council.
*The Emergency Management Training Centre provides training for emergency rescue response teams. The courses include Basic Rescue, Casualty Handling, Urban Search & Rescue, HQs Operations/Site Control, Welfare Training, Advanced Rescue, Communications, First Aid, C.I.M.S. (Co-ordinated Incident Management Systems). For more information contact your local council, eg CCC.