Established in the early 1990s by family carers, Carers NZ is now a national registered charity which provides information, advice, learning and support for families with health and disability needs.
It is the Secretariat for the NZ Carers Alliance, and acts as the legal umbrella for a number of special interest groups including:
An emerging coalition of regional carer support networks, uniting the voices of independent groups and those hosted by disease and condition specific organisations.
Tips for carers
- Plan for regular short breaks – take a look at the Time Out respite planning guide to help you
- Find a relief carer using the online carer matching service MyCare at www.mycare.co.nz
- Have a plan in place for emergencies – you can download a template at www.carers.net.nz
- Connect with other carers in your community – find local support groups through
Carers NZ 0800 777 797
- Make self-care a priority – your own safety and wellbeing is important too