Meals on Wheels are available by referral from your General Practice team or other Health Professional. The service is designed to provide a freshly cooked hot dinner meal at midday for those that find it difficult to prepare or access a hot meal. Meals consist of a hot main dish served with seasonal vegetables and a dessert.
Where are Meals on Wheels available?
- Meals are prepared daily by Hillmorton Hospital Food Services, Lincoln Hospitality and Rangiora Hospital for distribution in Christchurch, Lincoln, Kaiapoi and Rangiora.
- There is an administration office at Hillmorton Hospital.
How often are meals delivered?
- Meals can be arranged for three, four or five days per week, Monday to Friday, excluding weekends and Public Holidays.
- Meals are delivered between 11:30 am and 12:30 pm by Red Cross Volunteers.
Do you cater for special diets?
Many special dietary requirements can be accommodated. Diabetic, allergies, gluten-free, soft, minced, pureed, lactose-free, vegetarian to name just a few.
How do I pay for meals on wheels?
- Meals are subsidised and cost $6.80 per meal.
- Clients are invoiced at the end of each month and can pay the Canterbury DHB by monthly direct credit or by an automatic payment each week/fortnight.
- Clients do not pay the volunteer Red Cross drivers.
- If you have any queries about Meals on Wheels, please phone us on (03) 335 4443 (For internal enquiries from CDHB staff call extension 34443).
- You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If an individual doesn’t qualify for Meals on Wheels alternative suppliers are availalable. Contact Age Concern for more information